Friday, March 5, 2010

1st Shopping Trip a Success!

Yesterday I ventured out and attempted my first {big} grocery shopping trip with my coupon binder. Honestly, I was slightly stressed out but I made a plan and crossed my fingers!

In the end I actually did pretty well, with only a few "rookie" mistakes! Typically, my big grocery bill is about $150 every 3 or 4 weeks. When I was checking out my total BEFORE my Fry's card and coupons were scanned was $158 - so we were already starting off well! After all of my coupons and Fry's card was scanned, the total was $91! A savings of $67 or 39%. I was totally thrilled! (Not to mention that I bought about $13 of Food Storage supplies that I normally do not buy!)

My favorite sales were:

3 bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts $4.47/bag (savings of $5.42 per bag!)
Nature Valley Granola Bars $0.48 ($1.88 - $0.40 cellfire coupon -$.50 printable coupon doubled)
Betty Crocker Warm Delights $0.20 ($1.50 - $0.50 cellfire coupon - $0.40 printable doubled*)
Betty Crocker Cookie Mix $0.10 ($1.50 - $0.40 cellfire coupon - $0.50 printable doubled*)
Betty Crocker Cake Mix $FREE$ ($0.99 - $0.50 printable coupon doubled)
Betty Crocker Frosting $1.00 ($1.50 - $0.50 printable coupon doubled)
Cheerios $FREE$ (from a Fry's coupon they mailed me!)

My Rookie Mistake:

Julie posted about the $1.77 Gold Medal flour the other day. So I printed my 2 coupons and put 2 flours in my cart.

BUT DID I HAND THE COUPONS TO THE CASHIER??
NOPE
:(

The good news is that I only paid $1.77 for each one and not $4. I will be going back today and buying MORE flour at that $1.02 price.


*** One thing that I did notice, is that some of my printable coupons said "DO NOT DOUBLE OR TRIPLE" at the top, and the computer still automatically doubled each coupon. We will have to see if they make my flour coupon a dollar! ***

2 comments:

  1. They made my flour coupon a dollar! :) YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safeway had flour on sale too, which is where I got it, and they doubled mine too! :) Nice couponing!

    ReplyDelete